Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Ray Johnson - a man to be remembered.

My heart weeps right now. I just found out that a old family friend Ray Johnson has just passed away. I haven't seen him for while now 6-7 years? I was in my 2nd or 3rd year of university but I still remember him as a boy. He was one of the most kind hearted person I've ever met. He took care of my father when my dad first started at GCA and was like a grandfather to me when I was a child. He was the one that taught me tic-tac-toe. I have a clear vivid image of him. His glasses, his warm and wholesome smile and the big hug he gave me as a child.

The last time I saw him I remember that his wife had passed away from cancer a year earlier. I remember the look of his aged and wrinkly face. There was sadness and pain he still deeply missed his wife. He was grateful though to see some old friends. As my father, mother and I talked with him, it brought back the warm, wholesome and loving person I remembered him being. There were moments of laughter and sadness in our conversation. After the visit, we said our goodbyes and I still remember the tears in his eyes as we left him. "Promise me that you will visit again soon?" his voice cracked. I knew he didn't want that day to end. He was lonely and wanted to be near friends. I said "Yes, I will see you again soon..." and he smiled.

I'm sorry Ray that I never had a chance to visit. I still remember you and all the things that you taught me when I first started elementary school. You were such a kind and loving man. It does bring me comfort to know that you are now in heaven with your lovely wife. One day we will meet again and perhaps we can have that conversation again...but this time, no more tears and no more pain.

I love you Ray for being such a good friend/mentor to my dad. Thank you!

Sam

No comments: